This guided walk-through provides steps to fix problems with Windows Updates, such as taking a long time to scan, or Error Code 0x80070490 while installing updates.
Disclaimers: Before you attempt to fix an issue with the windows update, we highly recommend you to take a registry back up and create a system restore point as a precaution method. In case if something goes wrong, we can restore your computer to the same stage and fix the issues. (In case if you not sure how to back it up, talk to an expert for assistance.)
Symptoms of Windows Update Error Code 0x80070490 :
- “Error 0x80070490” appears and crashes the active program window.
- Your PC frequently crashes with Error 0x80070490 when running the same program.
- “Microsoft Security Essentials Error 0X80070490” is displayed.
- Windows runs sluggishly and responds slowly to mouse or keyboard input.
- Your computer periodically “freezes” for a few seconds at a time.
Causes of Windows Update Error Code 0x80070490:
- The WSUS platform being decommissioned or even migrated.
- Port blocked
- Temp files location contains active malware
How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error Code 0x80070490 :
Step 1: Troubleshooting the System
- Let’s open the browser and go to the Windows official support page.
- Then download Windows Update Troubleshooter for the particular versions of your operating systems.
- Go to the location you’ve saved the troubleshooter and launch the Wu.diagcab file.
- Follow the process closely and fix the programs as you go through the troubleshooting steps.
Step 2: Download the update manually
- Open the browser and visit the Microsoft Update Catalog Website.
- In the update history page locate the latest Windows 10 knowledge base (kb) memorize then copy and paste the search box and click enter.
- Then click the Download button for the 64 bit (or) 32-bit versions of the update.In case you don’t your system type then following:
- Open the settings and click System after that click on the option.
- Finally, See the system type.
- A popup Windows will appear with direct download link then click it to download the .msu.file.
- Open the downloaded to start the update process.
Step 3: Run DISM tool via command prompt
- Open the start menu and search command prompt(Admin) from the list of items or type command prompt (Admin).
- Submitted the administrator password and click allow or yes.
- After that type the following commands and Enter for each command.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Then the process is completed for wait some time.
- Then the type of command: SFC/SCANNOW and press enter.
- The process is completed then exit the command prompt and try to run Windows Update again.
Step 4: Check Date and Time Settings
- open the start menu search for the control panel after that it can open.
- Then select the clock, language, and region option and go to the change settings option.
- Then place a tick on synchronizing with an Internet time server and click on update now.
- Finally, click ok and close the window.
- Then Reboot your PC and check if date and time are set correctly.
Step 5: Disable Proxy
- Open the Windows Key +R then open the Run Window.
- Then type the inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.
- Select the connections and open the LAN settings.
- Find Automatically detect settings box and mark with a tick.
- Finally, Unmark the proxy server box.
Step 6: Reset Windows Update Components
- Open the command prompt (admin) Through the Start menu.
- Type the following commands you will stop BITS, services and windows update, Cryptographic Msi services, and press Enter each one of the commands
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
Next, net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Delete the qmgr*.dat files. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter.
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
Once it can be done.After that type, the following command and press enter to execute the command
cd /d %windir%\system32
- Register the BITS files, Windows update files, type the following commands and press enter.
Next, regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
- Reset the Winsock, type the following commands and press enter.
netsh Winsock reset
Step 7: Check Proxy Settings
- open te Run Window and type the “CMD” (with quotes) then press OK.
- In a command prompt copy, the following commands and press enter.
netsh win Http show proxy
You will need administrator access to run the above command, Simply right click on cmd button and select Run as administrator.
If you get the message Direct access, continue to next step otherwise disable proxy from network settings.
In most cases, Microsoft Windows update error 0x80070490 should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.
For More Details click Microsoft Live Assist
Chat with our technician to fix your computer issues Now!
Related issues to Windows Update error code 0x80070490 in Windows 10/8/7:
Error code 800f0900, Error code 0xc004f200, Error code 0xc1900200, Error code error 0x8e5e03fb, Error code 0x80073701, Error code 0x8e5e03fb, Error code kb4012215, Error code 0x80073712, Error code kb3176936, Error code 0x80240fff, Error code 0x80070057, Error code kb4013198, Error code kb4012219, Error code 0x800706d9, Error code 80244022, Error code 800736cc, Error code Kb2919442, Error code 0x80070490, Error code 0x80240190xc190020e, Windows Update Error Code 0xc190020e, Windows Update Error 0xc190020e, fehlercode 0xc190020e, Errore 0xc190020e.
Peoples also search for:
windows 7 install error code 0x80070490, error 0x80070490 element not found, 0x80070490 windows 7, installer encountered an error 0x80070490 element not found, sccm error 0x80070490, how do i fix error 0x80070490, error 0x80070490 xbox, feature update to windows 10 version 1803 error 0x80070490
Briefly Describe The Windows Store or Apps in Microsoft February 18, 2020
Fixed: Errors Booting Apps Office Insider 1806 1805 1804 October 29, 2019
5 Simple Steps to Resolve Apps Crash After Windows 10 Install October 29, 2019
Fixed: Windows Store Error Code 0x000001F7 April 10, 2018
How Does Works for Computer Technical Support? March 19, 2018