The Error code 0xc1900202 is associated with Windows 10/11 update failure, specifically when upgrading to a new version of Windows. This Windows 11 update Error code 0xc1900202 can be caused by a variety of factors, including incompatible hardware, outdated drivers, insufficient disk space, or interference from security software.
Manually reset steps to fix windows 10/11 update Error code 0xc1900202
- If you’re having issues with Windows 10 Update Error code 0xc1900202, resetting the service may help fix the problem. Here are the steps to manually reset Windows 11 Update 0xc1900202.
- Press to Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Enter to “services.msc” and hit Enter to open the Services window option.
- Go down to find out the “Windows Update” in the list of services.
- Press right click to “Windows 10/11 Update” and choose to “Stop” it
- Next, open to File Explorer and point out to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Delete all the files and folders within this folder. If some files cannot be deleted, it’s okay to skip them.
- Go back to the Services window and right-click on “Windows 10 Update” again.
- Select “Start” to restart the service.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
- After restarting, try running Windows 10/11 Update again to see if the issue has been resolved.
Windows update cache
- To clear the Windows update cache, follow these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator. You can do this typing “cmd” prompt in the search bar, right-clicking on “Command Prompt,” and Choose “Run as administrator.”
- In this Command Prompt window, type to “net stop wuauserv” and click Enter and stops the Windows Update service.
- Next, rename the Software Distribution folder, where the updates are cached. Type the following given commands in Window Command Prompt,
- Pressing Enter after each one: a. cd %systemroot% b. ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- This will rename the folder to “SoftwareDistribution.old,” and a new Software Distribution folder will be created the next time Windows Update runs.
- Finally, restart the Windows 10/11 Update service by typing “net start wuauserv” in the Command Prompt and pressing Enter.
- You can now close the Command Prompt window and check for Windows updates again.
- Note that clearing the Windows update cache may cause the updates to take longer to download and install the first time they are installed after clearing the cache.
Freeing Up Space
Insert the set-up media, then reboot your computer.
Make positive you select the right alternative to boot your PC or gadget from the set-up media.
Select your required language, then receive to the license phrases and Conditions.
Select to the Custom.
Click to Drive Options to layout the destination drive. Pick the right partition.
Press to Delete option.
Press to Next restart the set-up process.
Run SFC SCAN to Fix Windows 10/11 update Error code 0xc1900202
Run the System File Checker (SFC) utility to scan and repair any corrupted or damaged system files.
SFC scan to fix the broken or corrupt file.
Open Windows Terminal in Admin
Type SFC /scan now in the command prompt window
Wait for the scan to finish.
You will appear this following message on command windows “Windows Resource Protection” This may indicate that SFC program detects no integrity issues, or any found corrupt or broken files but will not repair few.
If SFC scan finds no issues, that you can close the Windows Terminal console. ”
If SFC scan found any issue or any errors, type the commands below in same window
DISM/Online /Clean-up-Image/restore health.
Perform a clean boot
- Performing a clean boot on your computer can help you identify and troubleshoot software conflicts or issues that may be causing problems. Here are the steps to perform a clean boot in Windows:Click to the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “msconfig” into the Run box and press Enter.
- In the System Configuration window that appears, then click on to Services tab.
- Check the box go to next processes to “Hide all Microsoft services.”
- Tap on the “Disable all” button to disable all non-Microsoft services.
- Click on the Startup tab.
- Click on the “Open Task Manager” link at the bottom of the window.
- In the Task Manager window, click on each startup item and select “Disable”.
- for each one.
- Close Task Manager window and go back to System Configuration window.
- Click on the OK button to apply the changes and restart your computer.
- After your computer restarts, it will be running in a clean boot environment with only essential Microsoft services and no startup programs running.
You can then test to see if the problem you were experiencing has been resolved. If it has, you can start adding back services and programs one by one to identify the one causing the issue.
Disable third-party antivirus:
Third-party antivirus software can interfere with the installation process. Disable your antivirus software temporarily and try the installation again.
How to temper disable Antivirus.
View to Antivirus application (McAfee or Norton or AVG) installed on the computer.
Tap on to settings and go to real time protection.
Select it Turn Off real time protection.
Point to Antivirus firewall and select Turn off Antivirus Firewall.
How to disable windows defender
Open Windows Security
Open Virus & threat in windows security window
Tap on Manage settings, under Virus & threat protection.
Switch Real-time protection to Off
If you have problem while doing this method, we recommend you to chat with our online experts. I am sure they will guide you and help resolve this issue. You can also visit website for more details and more information.
Fix Error code 0x80072EFE in windows 10/11 update April 5, 2023